One month after the floods that submerged part of the Monastery of Santa Clara-a-Velha, in Coimbra, the regional director of Center of Culture, Celeste Amaro, put forward an estimate of losses that can exceed the means million euros, and pointed to a probable date of opening to the public.
journalists, within the national monument on January 11 saw up the waters of the Mondego river to about five meters, Celeste Amaro said on Friday that the cost of recovery is estimated between 450,000 and 600,000 euros. “There irreversible damage, there mortars that will fall, there are old plaster that will fall,” said the official. Thus, the precise value of the restoration can only be evaluated with the progress of the works.
These deeper work will already be done with the old building open to the public. Celeste Amaro advanced with the intention of opening the monument situated on the left bank of the Mondego within about a month, once the cleaning work is completed and allow the entry of visitors “security conditions”.
“the monastery needs people as soon as possible,” he said, explaining that in order to start the repair process, the procedure is more time consuming, since the opening of a public tender is required. Celeste Amaro mentioned that the funds to carry out these works must be obtained from Community funds and the process “will take some time,” although no one horizon.
In a month, the Regional Directorate Centre for Culture (DRCC), which protects the equipment that includes a small museum and an interpretive center (not affected by the floods), proceeded to survey the damage and drainage water, a transaction which was not concluded in the last end-of-week.
as in January, Celeste Amaro referred again to the “abrupt discharges” of EDP explored dam as the main cause flood without parallel since the space opened to the public in 2009. However, despite not having obtained the company’s response, rather, for now, the path of dialogue.
The director of DRCC said it has asked the management of the energy to be received and sent for this purpose three e-mails, but still awaits an answer. Asked by reporters to say if you consider driving judicial means, Celeste Amaro said that “everything is possible”, but that “the very EDP, which has a foundation that works great in cultural terms,” not “be interested” in getting associated with damage caused the monastery originated in the thirteenth century.
the ruling was rescued from the example of this Friday a “day in which there is orange and one week warning that has been raining almost always” to support the thesis of EDP’s responsibility. “There had been the abrupt discharges made by the Aguieira dam, never this Monastery was flooded,” he said, noting that, for the days of heavy rainfall, the space has a four-pump system to remove water that has always functioned over the seven years.
on January 11, the water began to enter the stormwater system and the system of ports that should protect the old building that lies beneath the Mondego water line gave way with . the “force of the water,” since it was not designed to sustain clarified responsible
the director pointed to the need to rethink the system of protection – which cost 6 million euros of 16 million invested to restore the monument. – to the monastery again be flooded
with regard to the damage caused by flooding, in addition to mortars and plasters, the director of DRCC explains that the points in need of restoration does not stop there. A risk area, on the back of the building, had designs that “possibly will be sunk” and a stratigraphic zone (where archaeologists make excavations) “is completely damaged.” On the outside, the cloister in the open “was the most damaged site” in addition to the ceramic floor, also in need of recovery.